I am sitting inside Siteman treatment center writing this blog post. Brenda and I decided to drive up to St. Louis last night to stay in front of the storm. I am sure glad we did because it sounds like the roads got a little treacherous early this morning. Brenda is a floor above me getting treatment while I put my brain in the computer. I have a special out of the way place overlooking the busy intersection of Euclid and Forrest Park Blvd. I write a little and then watch the business of people moving to and fro below me. I can enjoy solitude in the middle of humanity. I have spent a lot of time here over the last 5 years. Across the street a building has been demolished and a new 13 story outpatient surgery center has risen in its place. I have really enjoyed watching it grow from the sub-grade to the copter pads. Over the last five years I have started to think of this place as a prison. You would be hard pressed to find one out of a hundred who want to be here. Disease, pain, suffering is every direction. Hope is spoken of in wishful ways. The prison bars are the circumstances of life. Your cell is your own body, no way to escape. The guards, oh the guards, bureaucratic nightmares, you don't need them but they are there just the same.
Brenda was hoping for some snow so that she could watch from her 4th. floor cell. It is snowing and I'll bet she is loving it!
No comments:
Post a Comment